Conetoe, North Carolina
Conetoe, North Carolina is a small rural town in the eastern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 1,700 people and is located in Edgecombe County. The town sits on the banks of the Tar River, which provides ample opportunity for fishing and other recreational activities. The climate in Conetoe is typical for the region with hot, humid summers and mild winters.
The history of Conetoe dates back to the early 1700s when it was founded by settlers from Virginia. Over time, Conetoe grew as a farming community and was later incorporated in 1883. During this time, tobacco became an important crop for area farmers. Many of these same families still live in Conetoe today and are proud to call it home.
Politically speaking, Conetoe has traditionally been a Democratic stronghold with many residents voting along party lines for local elections. The economy is largely driven by agriculture with many citizens employed by local farms or working in agricultural-related industries such as food processing or packaging plants nearby.
In terms of education, there are two primary schools in Conetoe: Smith Elementary School and John Hines Middle School which both provide quality education to students from kindergarten through eighth grade. For higher education opportunities, many students opt to attend nearby colleges or universities such as North Carolina State University or East Carolina University.
Among the landmarks found around Conetoe are the historic Tar River Bridge which was built in 1875 and spans over 500 feet across the river; Stoney Hill Cemetery which serves as a reminder of those who have called this small town home; and Battleboro Baptist Church which has been standing since 1891 and continues to serve as an important spiritual center for members of the community today.
Population: 365. Estimated population in July 2020: 344 (-5.8% change)
Males: 168 (46.0%), Females: 197 (54.0%)
Zip code: 27819
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $35,227
Median house value: $74,000
Races in Conetoe:
- Black (63.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (30.4%)
- Hispanic (5.5%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (21.6%), English (3.8%).
Elevation: 48 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Conetoe, North Carolina is a small rural town located in the eastern part of the state. With a population of just over 500 people, it is a tight-knit community with a strong sense of identity and pride. The town boasts an array of amenities including two churches, a post office, and two convenience stores. The majority of residents are employed in the agricultural industry or related fields such as forestry and aquaculture. The median income for households in Conetoe is slightly lower than the national average at $44,000 per year.
The cost of living in Conetoe is relatively low compared to other parts of North Carolina due to its rural location. Housing costs are particularly inexpensive with average prices for a 3-bedroom home ranging from $100,000-$150,000. Utility costs are also low as most homes have access to natural gas or propane for heating and cooking needs. Transportation costs are comparatively high due to limited public transit options; many residents rely on private vehicles for daily commutes to nearby towns or cities for work or shopping purposes. Despite this, overall living costs remain relatively affordable making Conetoe an attractive option for those seeking an affordable small-town lifestyle without sacrificing access to amenities and employment opportunities.
For population 25 years and over in Conetoe
- High school or higher: 63.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Conetoe town
- Never married: 28.5%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 5.1%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 8.8%
4.9% Foreign born (4.4% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +83 (+29.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Conetoe:
- HERITAGE HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; TARBORO, NC)
- PITT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; GREENVILLE, NC)
- WALTER B JONES ALCOHOL & DRUG ABUSE (about 15 miles; GREENVILLE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Conetoe:
- PITT-GREENVILLE (about 14 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: PGV)
- ROCKY MOUNT-WILSON RGNL (about 30 miles; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Abbreviation: RWI)
- KINSTON RGNL JETPORT AT STALLINGS FLD (about 36 miles; KINSTON, NC; Abbreviation: ISO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Conetoe:
- TARBORO-EDGECOMBE (about 10 miles; TARBORO, NC; Abbreviation: ETC)
- CRAFT AIR (about 18 miles; FARMVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: W38)
- FLANAGAN FIELD (about 20 miles; FARMVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: N08)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of North Carolina graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Conetoe:
- PITT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,072)
- EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 16,633)
- COASTAL CAROLINA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,237)
- VANCE-GRANVILLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; HENDERSON, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY AT RALEIGH (about 81 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 23,918)
- SHAW UNIVERSITY (about 82 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,299)
- WAKE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 4,754)