San Perlita, Texas
According to Rctoysadvice.com, San Perlita is a small town located in Hidalgo County, Texas. It sits on the Rio Grande River and is surrounded by agricultural fields. The climate of San Perlita is hot and humid in the summer months, with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. In the winter months, temperatures can drop to below freezing during the night.
The history of San Perlita dates back to the late 1800s, when it was first established as a farming community. Since then, it has grown into a small city with a population of about 1,500 people. Its politics are largely influenced by its close proximity to Mexico; many residents have dual citizenship and often cross back and forth from Mexico for work or leisure.
San Perlita’s economy is mainly based on agriculture, with many local businesses centered around growing crops or raising livestock. The town also has some light industry in the form of manufacturing plants that employ many residents.
The school system in San Perlita consists of two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. All four schools are part of the Hidalgo Independent School District, which serves most of Hidalgo County’s students.
There are several landmarks in San Perlita that attract visitors from all over Texas and beyond. One such landmark is Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, which was founded in 1790 by Spanish settlers who had been sent to colonize what is now Texas. Another popular attraction is the annual Fiesta del Pueblo celebration which takes place each year during Labor Day weekend and features traditional Mexican music and dancing as well as food booths selling tacos and other treats from south of the border!
Population: 680. Estimated population in July 2020: 689 (+1.3% change)
Males: 330 (48.5%), Females: 350 (51.5%)
Median resident age: 25.3 years
Median household income: $22,500
Median house value: $27,300
Races in San Perlita:
- Hispanic (88.5%)
- Other race (17.8%)
- White Non-Hispanic (9.6%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- Black (2.2%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (2.4%), Czech (1.5%), Irish (1.5%), United States (1.5%).
Land area: 0.5 square miles
San Perlita, Texas is a small town located in Willacy County. The population of San Perlita is estimated to be about 1,500 people. It is a predominantly Hispanic or Latino community, with the majority of the population being of Mexican origin. The median age in San Perlita is 33 years old, which is slightly lower than the median age of Texas overall. The median household income in San Perlita is also lower than the state average, at $30,000 per year.
San Perlita has a strong sense of community and many residents take part in civic and religious activities. There are several churches throughout town that host various events and services for the community. Additionally, there are many local businesses that serve the residents of San Perlita such as restaurants, grocery stores, and small convenience stores. Education plays an important role in the lives of many residents as there are two elementary schools located within the city limits. Every summer, San Perlita hosts a carnival which features rides and games for all ages to enjoy. This event brings together many members of the community for an evening filled with fun and entertainment for all ages.
For population 25 years and over in San Perlita
- High school or higher: 46.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.5%
- Unemployed: 18.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in San Perlita city
- Never married: 32.9%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 4.3%
16.9% Foreign born (16.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +173 (+34.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near San Perlita:
- RIO GRANDE STATE CENTER (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- SOUTH TEXAS HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- VALLEY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to San Perlita:
- VALLEY INTL (about 20 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
- BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INT’L (about 45 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: BRO)
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 47 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
Other public-use airports nearest to San Perlita:
- CHARLES R JOHNSON (about 15 miles; PORT MANSFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: T05)
- MID VALLEY (about 33 miles; WESLACO, TX; Abbreviation: T65)
- PORT ISABEL-CAMERON COUNTY (about 33 miles; PORT ISABEL, TX; Abbreviation: PIL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to San Perlita:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 39 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 41 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)
- TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE (about 41 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,556)
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 71 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 86 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
Public high school in San Perlita:
- SAN PERLITA H S (Students: 70; Location: E HWY 186 1 MILE N FM 2209; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in San Perlita:
- SAN PERLITA EL (Students: 148; Location: E HWY 186 1 MILE N FM 2209; Grades: PK – 06)
- SAN PERLITA MIDDLE (Students: 30; Location: E HWY 186 1 MILE N FM 2209; Grades: 07 – 08)
- SAN PERLITA INSTR CTR (Location: E HWY 186 1 MILE N FM 2209; Grades: N – N )