Special Buildings in Augsburg, Germany
Opened in 1903 and designed in Art Nouveau style, the swimming pool in the center of Augsburg offers a café, a Finnish sauna, a Roman-Irish sweat bath, a bio sauna and wellness facilities in addition to the usual swimming facilities.
Augsburg hotel tower
The most famous skyscraper in Augsburg is also the tallest building in the city at 107.2 meters. With an antenna it even reaches 158 meters and is one of the ten tallest structures in the Free State of Bavaria. The hotel tower, also jokingly referred to as the “corn cob”, has housed the 4-star Hotel Dorint since 2001.
Augsburg Town Hall
The renaissance town hall of Augsburg, one of the most impressive town halls in Germany according to politicsezine, is one of the city’s landmarks. It was built between 1615 and 1624 and was considered the only building in the world with more than six floors when it was completed. The Augsburg town hall impresses with monumental halls such as the Untere Fletz, the meeting room of the Augsburg city parliament and of course the wonderful Golden Hall, which is also used as a popular venue. The town hall, which incidentally is the most visited building in the city on the Lech, houses permanent exhibitions on the history of Augsburg
The Augustus Fountain, one of the three magnificent fountains in Augsburg, is located directly in front of the main entrance of the Augsburg City Hall on the Rathausplatz. It was cast between 1588 and 1594. It is crowned by a 2.50 meter high figure of the Roman emperor Augustus, who died in 15 BC. Chr. Augsburg was founded.
houses The houses of Augsburg’s most famous family stand along Maximilianstrasse and go back to the years between 1512 and 1515. Heavily damaged in the Second World War, all damage caused by the descendants of the Fuggers was repaired. Fugger’s corporate empire had its headquarters in these houses and it was here that Martin Luther was interrogated by Cardinal Cajetan in 1518. With the Adlertor you have the main entrance to the Fürst Fugger private bank in front of you. Unfortunately the Fugger houses – apart from the three inner courtyards – cannot be visited, because the complex is privately owned and is the property of Prince Fugger-Babenhausen.
Augsburg’s Fünfgratturm, built as a defense tower in 1454, was once part of the city fortifications, but has been vacant since 1868. The listed tower has four smaller watch towers, which together with the tent roof of the main tower result in five “ridges”; that explains the name of the building. The first floor of the tower can be climbed using ladders.
This historic rococo building in the Lechviertel was built by Leonhard Christian Mayer in 1764/75. The richly decorated house now houses a venue for the Augsburg Theater and was originally built as a factory. The client was Barbara Gignoux, an Augsburg entrepreneur who was known for her liberalism and her sense of art.
The second of Augsburg’s three magnificent fountains is located on Maximilianstrasse and is directly in front of the main entrance of the Schaezlerpalais. The fountain, completed in 1602, is dominated by a 3 meter high Hercules, which stands on a strong base and fights the hydra.
Hotel Drei Mohren
The hotel is located on Maximilianstrasse in downtown Augsburg. It has 132 rooms, including 5 suites, as well as the Maximilian’s restaurant, the Sartory restaurant and the 3M bar.
It also has a 360 m², oriental-style spa area and an event area with an area of around 1200 m².
The beginnings of this traditional house go back to the year 1511, when an Augsburg patrician bought a house at what was then the Weinmarkt, which was next to the Fugger’s area and was bought by them in June 1575 to use it as a guest house. The Fuggers remained in possession of the building until it was partially destroyed by fire. The current building was designed between 1722 and 1723 by the Munich master builder Johann Baptist Gunezrhainer (1692-1763), who furnished the building with a magnificent rococo facade. The name of the building comes from the “three-moors” terracotta faces that look down from the gables of the three balcony doors. They were created by the Augsburg sculptor Ehrgott Bernhard Bendl (1660-1738) around 1725.
On the night of February 25th to 26th, 1944, the hotel was hit by bombs and was then burned out – with the exception of the facade wall, which was later removed for a new building. The plans for the new building came from the architect Ulrich Reitmayer. The inauguration took place on May 26, 1956.
Tel.: 0049 – (0) 821 – 50360
The third of Augsburg’s three magnificent fountains is located on Maximilianstrasse and was built between 1596 and 1599. It honors Mercury, the god of trade, who is supposed to indicate the importance of Augsburg as a trading metropolis.
70 meters high, the Perlach Tower in Augsburg’s old town, designed in the 10th century. The former watchtower is now one of the landmarks of the former imperial city. Together with the town hall, the tower represents one of the most beautiful Renaissance ensembles in Bavaria. From its viewing platform, which you reach after 258 steps, you have a fabulous view over Augsburg. Once a year, on September 29th (= Michaelmas Day), you can see the Turamichele at the bottom window of the Perlach Tower. This mechanically controlled figure represents the Archangel Michael who forcibly stabs the devil.
The once most important city gate in Augsburg was first mentioned in a document in 1259. The southern entrance to the city was secured through the gate. The sundial attached to the south side of the tower is particularly worth seeing.